There is nothing more annoying, and irritating than having discomfort in your eyes. It can stop your entire day, and make simple everyday tasks nearly impossible which leaves you frustrated. Eye floaters are known as specks of debris in your line of vision, usually obstructing and obscuring your ability to see. They may appear to be black or grey specks, string, or cobwebs that float about when your eye moves.
The millions of fine fibers and collagens cause eye floaters, when they shrink and start to shred and accumulate in the vitreous gel. They are more common in elderly people, as the jelly like substance called “vitreous” in your eye becomes more liquefied as you age. The clear vitreous gel, which completely fills the back of the eye, earlier in life, decreases in size and can no longer fill this space. It pulls away from the retina and it is often in the areas of previous attachment to the retina, which are seen as floaters in the eye (Eye floaters, 2015).
While they do not last forever, there are certain remedies you can incorporate into your daily routine to help get rid of eye floaters long term. If you notice an increase in eye floaters, you may want to contact your eye specialist immediately, especially if you see flashing lights and are losing your peripheral vision. There are some simple and natural remedies that can help alleviate the pain and discomfort that eye floaters pose, as I will explain below.
Symptoms Of Eye Floaters
- Spots in your line of vision that appears black. They also may appear to be floating and transparent.
- Spots in your eyes that move when your eyes move.
- Spots that are most noticeable when you look at a plain background, such as a blue sky or a white wall.
5 Simple Home Remedies
Relaxation: After extended periods of strain on your eyes, take a break and relax them. Close your eyes, and completely relax the muscles to prevent eye floaters from spreading. You can incorporate a simple massage near your temples, and eyes to help relax the region if you are experiencing discomfort. Before you start the massage, apply a warm washcloth over your eyes for a few moments and start rubbing your temples in a circular motion. Do this as many times as you need to gain comfort and relaxation.
- Eye Exercises and Focusing: When you think of exercising you do not normally think about your eyes. There are a few exercises you can do to keep your eye strength up, which can prevent eye floaters. To do: Simply rotate your eyes in a circle 10 times clockwise, and then 10 times again counter clockwise. Repeat this several times a day until you feel the eye floaters dissipating.
- Drink Water: Again, a very simple yet overlooked habit that can prevent eye floaters from happening in the first place. Because floaters can accumulate because of unwanted toxins in the body, drinking water to flush these toxins out may result in the decrease of new eye floaters appearing. Try to drink at least half your body weight in ounces of water or herbal teas daily to stay optimally hydrated.
- Always Use Sunglasses: Harmful rays can be hurtful to your eyes long-term, and they can provoke the onset of eye floaters. Simply wear sunglasses when going outside, even if it is a little bit cloudy outside will do your eyes a favor.
- Eat Anti-Oxidant Rich Foods: By consuming anti-oxidant rich foods you will not only do your eyes a favor, but you will do the rest of your body a favor as well. Eating leafy greens, kiwis, oranges, and strawberries are some foods that will help your body fight off those unwanted toxins that cause eye floaters. Consume these foods daily, and incorporate the remedies above for optimal relief from the pesky eye floaters.
A large majority of the time, you will not need to seek medical help for eye floaters. Many people learn to live with them until they go away, or they consult medical help if the symptoms progress to other health conditions. Eye floaters may or may not affect your vision, as everyone’s diagnoses and symptoms can be different. On the more serious side of things, eye floaters can lead to more severe eye conditions. If you are experiencing flashes of light and vision loss so it is important that you consult your doctor right away if these symptoms come up. With these simple at home remedies, you may find relief from eye floaters without having to bat an eye!
Eye floaters. (n.d.). Retrieved December 22, 2015, from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/eye-floaters/basics/definition/con-20033061
10 Natural Cure For Eye Floaters. (n.d.). Retrieved December 22, 2015, from https://www.findhomeremedy.com/natural-cure-for-eye-floaters/
15 Effective Home Remedies For Eye Floaters. (n.d.). Retrieved December 22, 2015, from https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/effective-home-remedies-for-eye-floaters/
Eye floaters. (n.d.). Retrieved December 22, 2015, from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/eye-floaters/basics/symptoms/con-20033061
Eye Floaters: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment. (n.d.). Retrieved December 22, 2015, from https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/benign-eye-floaters