Do you ever feel like you have been eating so much food and nothing seems to keep you full? That is very common when you eat foods that are poor for your body or are just lack the proper nutrients to send the messages to your brain that your body is no longer in need of consuming food. In order to avoid that situation I have a quick list of foods for you to make as your “go-to” rather than eating way more than needed.
Oatmeal is first up on the list because naturally the amount of fiber that it contains works in a way that it keeps you full for hours after eating it. As long as you don’t doctor it up with a bunch of sugar or anything unhealthy, you will be amazed at how it starts of your day with a satisfied stomach and is the perfect breakfast food!
Apples are a fruit that are rich in fiber as well as pectin, which assist your body in knowing when it is full. The natural sweetness that comes from the glucose makes for a great sweet tooth killer, while the glucose itself will help to boost your energy!
Nuts are not only a great snack to get you through that afternoon stretch, but they are a fantastic source of protein and fiber. Almonds and walnuts in particular may seem like they have a higher calorie count, but just a couple handfuls will get you the antioxidants, magnesium, and protein to hold you over for a while.
Salmon is a great way to have a low calorie meal and reap several benefits at the same time. It is a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids, which is an important nutrient for your body (and is one of the only important ones that is not produced naturally and can only come from external factors). These nutrients in turn increase a hormone called leptin in your body, which is highly recognized for its ability to suppress your appetite.
Avocados, similar to nuts, are a great source of good fats! According to a Loma Linda University study, “Researchers found that participants who added half of a fresh avocado to their lunch reported a significantly decreased desire to eat by 40 percent over a three-hour period”. That being said, this super food is not only delicious but a proven natural way to keep your appetite suppressed!
A great rule of thumb to keep in mind when looking for foods that will naturally suppress your appetite is to find foods that are high in fiber! Also, do not think that you will eat these foods and instantly not feel hungry. Give your body at least a 30 minute window for everything to begin processing and sending the right messages, then you can be the judge of whether you are hungry for more or that your appetite has been suppressed as planned.
- “Acute Effect of Oatmeal on Subjective Measures of Appetite and Satiety Compared to a Ready-to-eat Breakfast Cereal: A Randomized Crossover Trial.”National Center for Biotechnology Information. U.S. National Library of Medicine, n.d. Web.
- Boyer, Jeanelle, and Rui Hai Liu. “Apple Phytochemicals and Their Health Benefits.” Nutrition Journal. BioMed Central Ltd., 12 May 2004. Web.
- “Foods for Your Eyes, Skin, Hair – Times of India.” The Times of India. N.p., 30 July 2012. Web.
- “New Research: Effects of Eating Half an Avocado with Lunch on Satiety and Desire to Eat between Meals.” EurekAlert! N.p., 8 Jan. 2014. Web.
- Rossi, Andrea, Yolanda Lombardo, and Jean-Marc Lacorte. “Dietary Fish Oil Positively Regulates Plasma Leptin and Adiponectin Levels in Sucrose-fed, Insulin-resistant Rats.” American Journal of Physiology. N.p., 1 Aug. 2005. Web.
Most Trending Diets In 2019
*Individual results will vary.
Information on this website is not to replace the advise of the doctor, but rather for general education purposes. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease and should not be considered as medical advice. Always consult your doctor before starting any diet or taking any dietary supplements.
Articles, reviews and investigations are our own opinion, and written based on the information publicly available or simply contacting the companies. We try our best to stay up to date with constantly changing information. If you find any information inaccurate, please email us, we’ll verify for accuracy and update it.