Acne plagues kids, young adults, and adults worldwide. Sadly, acne is the most common skin condition around, but the good news is the treatment options are endless. Pimples are formed when hair follicles under your skin clog up. (Medline Plus, 1). According to dermatologists, acne plagues 40-50 million Americans who are unhappy with letting acne run its course. There are a lot of different remedies from dermatologists and doctors that can help eliminate acne for good. Keep reading to learn a few at home remedies to put a stop to acne for good.
Causes for Breakouts:
- Hormonal imbalances
- Eating Spicy Foods which contain acidic lycopene
- Scrubbing your skin too hard
- Touching your face with unclean hands
- Triggers from Stress stimulate an overproduction of oil glands
- Overexposure to sun
- Not washing your face after a workout
- Overuse of topical treatments
- A diet of too much grease and/or sugar
- Not moisturizing (Cardellino, 1).
At Home Remedies to Clear Up Acne:
- Apply Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is known to balance the PH levels in your body, making this an excellent home remedy selection. It also kills off bacteria; and dries up excessive oils. To use, you will first wash your face with water and then dry your skin thoroughly. Using one part water and three parts vinegar, apply to a cotton ball and then dab onto the blemish. You can either leave this on for 10 minutes or overnight.
- Cinnamon Honey Mask: Cinnamon has antimicrobial properties, so it might stop the spread of acne before it starts. Honey has natural antibiotic properties that also help kill off acne. To make the mask, mix two tablespoons of honey and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon together. Apply the mask to a fresh face, and leave on for 10-15 minutes. Rinse off.
- Egg White Mask: Eggs are known to harbor proteins and nutrients that will fight off acne and repair skin cells. Eggs are also famous for reducing the appearance of scars that acne often leaves on the skin. To make this mask, you will need 2-3 egg whites, a bowl, and a washcloth. In the bowl, whisk the whites until they are frothy and let them sit for a few minutes. Cover your face with the mixture and let it sit for 20 minutes. Rinse off and wipe clean with a wash cloth.
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil is not like the oil that is clogging your pores and causing acne. This oil specifically cleans out bad bacteria and unclogs pores. It is never meant to be ingested, and it is only for topical use. Always apply topical solutions to a clean face. To use tea tree oil to fight against acne, simply apply 2-3 drops of tea tree oil to 9 parts water on a q-tip or cotton ball and apply to the blemish.
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice is an affordable way to stop acne right in its tracks. Because of lemon’s high vitamin C levels, it is naturally good for the skin. Due to its high acid content, lemon juice is also a natural exfoliator. To use, simply squeeze lemon juice onto a cotton ball and apply to the blemish. Let sit until dry and rinse off.
- A Steam Mask: Hot steam can kill bacteria and clear out pores. This simple steam mask is easy to do on a daily basis and will do wonders for your skin. Just boil a pot of hot water and pour the hot water into a bowl. Carefully place your face directly above the bowl and drape a towel over your head to trap the steam. Let the steam work for 10-15 minutes.
- Avocado and Honey Mask: You may already know about honey’s skin benefits, but avocados are also wonderful for your skin. Avocados are loaded with vitamins and minerals which can suppress acne. To make this mask you will need 1 ripe avocado and 1 tablespoon of honey. Once you have cleaned your face and dried it thoroughly, mash up the avocado and mix in the honey. Apply to your face and let it stand for 15-20 minutes. Wash your face with warm water and pat dry.
- Don’t Touch Your Face: Our hands are full of germs and bacteria. When you touch your face, you are spreading acne-causing bacteria to your face.
- Wash Your Pillow Case: Pillow cases and sheets should be washed weekly. You lose millions of dead skin cells with bacteria on them every minute. It is important not to flare up acne by clogging pores with these dead skin cells. (Everyday Roots, 1).
- Aspirin Topical Treatment: Aspirin has a high level of salicylic acid which can decrease the redness and irritation in acne. To make a home remedy topical solution from aspirin, crush up 2 aspirin tablets and add enough water to make a thick paste. Once you have washed your face, apply to the blemish and let it sit for 10 minutes or until dry. (Laliberte, 1).
After trying your luck with home remedies, hopefully the acne improves. In order for the remedies to work, you may need to be persistent. After some time, if the blemishes are not going away you will want to consult your dermatologist. They can prescribe more effective products such as Accutane if the situation becomes bad. These medications are only to be taken from a dermatologist.
- Acne: MedlinePlus. (n.d.). Retrieved December 4, 2015, from https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/acne.html
- 22 Home Remedies for Acne & Pesky Pimples | Everyday Roots. (2013, March 19). Retrieved December 4, 2015, from https://everydayroots.com/acne-remedies
- 13 Surprising Home Remedies for Acne. (n.d.). Retrieved December 4, 2015, from https://www.rd.com/health/beauty/home-remedies-for-acne/
- Cardellino, C. (n.d.). 13 Surprising Reasons You Keep Breaking Out. Retrieved December 4, 2015, from https://ca.shine.yahoo.com/13-surprising-reasons-you-keep-breaking-out-143648385.html